Friday, 29 July 2016

Gypsy

Longtime readers will know my inappropriate love of Romani traveller culture.

I'm aware that it's disgusting to romanticise a marginalized ethnic group...

But now I can happily say that my family were travellers a few generations ago, so I kind of feel like I am allowed to love traveller culture again in a non cultural appropriation way. Yey!

My mum's gran always said her family were gypsies who ran a travelling fair, and everyone put this down to her being a bit of a storyteller and dreamer. I really feel for her, as I often tell people things that are COMPLETELY true and because they are so fantastical they don't believe me.

Like the fact that cats and dogs can smell epileptic fits and low blood sugar in diabetic people, or that the National Trust and other businesses use dowsing to find water and underground structures...

It's not my fault that I'm so tuned into the fantastical.

Anyway, my uncle has discovered that my mum's gran was telling the truth, as I always knew she was in my heart.

Her mum and dad were 'horse people' and they met at Appleby (for non-British readers - it's a famous horse fair, where travellers traditionally met their husbands and wives). I can't remember which is which, but one side of the family had a circus and the other had a travelling fair.

So there you go. I'm not sure if they were Irish travellers or Roma originally, but I don't think they came from Ireland which makes me think Romani.

I wanted to share my news, because it makes me so happy.









2 comments:

  1. Omg I bet this is like those fairytales where the kid figures out that the mysterious gold ring hidden by her peasant family proves she really was a princess all along

    ReplyDelete