Wednesday, 1 July 2015

Ballet

Guess what.

On Sunday I went to my first ballet class in over ten years and now BALLET IS MY LIFE.

I love it. The teacher was a really camp Australian guy who kept yelling 'beautiful, beautiful work guys!' and after each exercise he'd pick someone to tell off in front of the class. But everyone still loved him.

I was pretty hungover and got quite mixed up when we were doing the tendu exercise.

"YOU young lady!" he yelled, sweeping across the studio towards me (he was smiling though; yelling in an extrovert way rather than in anger... I hope), "Where does my foot go back to?"

"Erm..."

"Where does my foot go back to?"

"Er... first?"

"Where does my foot go back to?"

"Erm, the other foot?"

"Where... does my foot... go back to?"

"Um."

This went on for some time. (The answer was: in front of the other foot. Oh how I wish he had revealed the answer after my first 'erm' and saved the entire class a five minutes of awkward boredom.)

There was another new person in the class and she looked bewildered throughout. When half of us were told to move away from the barre and stand at the side of the studio (so that the remaining students would have room to fling their legs around), she tried to run away in panic. He brought  over a regular student to stand in front of her and show her the movement.

"My first time!" she protested.

"I know babes, it's going to be fine. I've even got someone to help you - YOU'RE WELCOME."

We all laughed but unfortunately the little Chinese lady didn't speak fluent English. She looked offended. I don't think she'll be coming back...

But I will!

I went with a girl from work. I found the class ages ago, but haven't managed to make it (ie. every time we  planned to go I accidentally spent all my money on gin and crumpets the weekend before) - so she's been a couple of times on her own, and told me how good it was.

If you've been daydreaming for years about taking up ballet - do it. You really can spend the whole class pretending to be a ballerina. Most of the women (and two guys) in the class were wearing leotards and tights. One woman was wearing a see-through tulle skirt. 

I wore leggings and a vest top, with socks instead of ballet shoes... but it's only a matter of time before I am prancing around in a tutu, I just know it.

The only sickle in the soubresaut (it took me a few minutes of scrolling through an online ballet glossary to come up with that... not sure it works, but it's sounds terrific doesn't it?) is that, with all the mirrors, it's hard to pretend you're a prima ballerina on stage in Moscow or Paris...

You're holding your arms high above your head, perfectly and beautifully curved, and extending one leg behind you, high in the air with toes pointed, and you feel like a lovely swan...

Then you catch sight of yourself in the mirror and your arms are forming a hut-shape just above your scalp and your leg is one inch off the floor.

Still.

It is only matter of time before I start improving and then I will probably be able to audition for the New York Ballet.

So it will all be worth it.

The music is lovely - gentle piano pieces that sounded really familiar. I soon realised I was listening to, not classical music, but Colours of the Wind, I Will Always Love You and Tomorrow from Annie.

Where can I get the album?

On that note, let's all go and practice our demi-pliĆ©s to this:




P.S  I feel I should mention this, as I used to blog about Sudocream A LOT and it has now been barged out of the way by a new wonder product...

Coconut oil.

You can cook with it, moisturise your body with it, swish it round your mouth and remove plaque with it, take your eye make-up off with it, condition your split ends with it, and even rub it on scabby coldsores and it HEALS them.

Sorry Sudocrem - but these days you won't catch me going anywhere without a bit of coconut oil either on me or inside me...

4 comments:

  1. Everyone is buying this coconut oil at my store ! Is it REALLY that good...?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! It's really good for cooking stir fries and curries, and it's really good at taking off eye make-up or using it as a moisturiser xx

      Delete
  2. Better than Crealine ? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I still love that too for the rest of my face!

      Delete