Tuesday, 26 August 2014

London Nights Out

Listening to a Spotify playlist my mum recommended to me... I'm enjoying it a lot, it makes me feel like I'm in a cocktail bar in the late 90s and it's really sophisticated even though everyone's wearing backless halterneck tops and stretchy trousers.

Let's pretend we're listening to the same thing at the same time- I'm writing and you're reading and we're both shoulder-dancing to this, yeah?


You may have noticed that I have set up a forum on here for au pairs to ask me and each other questions about au pairing stuff. You may also have noticed that nobody has fucking written on it, so I might delete it. I get asked for help all the bloody time in comments and on Twitter, yet now I've put myself out there as an Au Pair Agony Aunt everyone seems to have solved their own sodding problems, or at least they've suddenly decided Left Bank Manc is not the place to seek help...

It is!

Anyway.

I can't MAKE you write on my forum, but if you have any queries/questions/qualms about au pair life... write on my forum svp.

Now.

I haven't done a 'writing about my weekend' for ages, it seems really self-centred and manic somehow and yet-

-that is how I started this blog I suppose, so I am going to try and get back into it. First let me go off on a strenuously-linked tangent...

My cousin Sophie's friend Becky, who I have met many times over the years, has been reading my blog for a while (in fact Sophie said she is a FAN of my blog but that's not really for me to repeat and act like a smug dick about) and once she told me that what she loves about my blog is the Random Nights Out I describe.

(Hold on, I am going somewhere with this, I'm not just relaying compliments, I promise.)

A few weeks ago I was on a Random Night Out with Glasgow Laura, which had started out as a picnic with Clare and her new Gentleman Friend and a couple of his friends, which had started out as a lovely day with Ruth from Paris- she hadn't been in Paris the week before when I was visiting, but luckily happened to be visiting London the weekend after- and basically a whole day of drinking turned into me and Laura alone, stumbling through the ridiculously dark dance floor of The Nest trying to make out if we were stood next to any boys or just stranded on our own in the middle of a midnight-black club.

I honestly haven't had the desire to 'pull' on a night out for years and years and YEARS, but that night for Some Reason we were both determined to meet a couple of Likely Lads and take them back to my house- to do what with, I have NO IDEA, but certainly not what you're thinking.

Needless to say, we didn't have any luck and soon I was in a sulk, drunk and squinting in the dark. I suddenly remembered that I hated both men and crowded clubs, so suggested to Laura we called it a night.

Laura asked me to try one thing before we went home- she asked me to go across the road with her to a bar called Birthdays and see if that was any better...

It was packed with boys, as far as the eye could see. They were all going down into the basement but they'd stopped letting people in without a stamp and the bouncers were refusing to give out the much-coveted 'basement stamps'. As we found this out, I noticed someone walking past in the crowd...

Becky!

It was Becky and her friend- they were having a bit of a weird night too. We ended up combining our nights out and Becky became a part of one of my Random Nights Out she's told me she likes reading about so much. We went back into The Nest and danced for hours. Laura started 'snogging' a boy on the dance floor, old-school style, until a very irate girl bounced up and screamed at them both.

Being Lovely Girls, me and Becky asked her what was wrong and she told us she was supposed to be seeing the guy Laura was 'getting off with' (I cringe talking about these things, now I am so mature and spinster-like). We told her that Laura would never do that in front of another girl, so we told Laura and she walked away.

We are such nice girls.

The guy was really angry and kept saying he hadn't been seeing the girl for ages...

Oh it was all very silly.

That's why I don't like going to clubs anymore. We all went back to mine (me, Laura, Becky and her friend who had just moved to London that day) and got fucked, which is my new favourite thing to do. I love living in a house where we can bring people back and have mini-discos in the living room.

Becky and her pal left at 7am and Laura stayed over. The next day we woke up at the same time and both of our phones had run out of battery. As we waited for them to charge up, we discussed plans for breakfast and spending the day watching shit TV.

We didn't realise the day had already been and gone- when my phone came on, it showed the time as 7pm. I thought there must be something wrong with my phone, but then Laura's phone switched on and said 7pm too. We checked the TV downstairs and it was indeed 7pm- we'd slept for 12 hours and missed the whole of Sunday. Laura had to get the train home (she lives on the outskirts of London now) and I had to get ready for work the next day.

So, there you go. That wasn't what I set out to blog about but I feel like I've caught up a little bit from the last few weeks of my blogging hiatus.

Now I just need to tell you about the rest of Paris and this weekend- I went to SW4 and carnival with Nat, with no sleeping in between, just a mini disco in the living room, my favourite London venue.




No comments:

Post a Comment