Thursday, 28 November 2013

The Life Of

This is what I feared- coming back to England and finding it is full of idiots. Benefit tourism? I can't even be arsed arguing. I could go on and on and on explaining why 'benefit tourism' is a made-up thing but I literally don't have the energy. Even if people did want to come to the UK to claim benefits, which they don't, they wouldn't be able to. (It was a hard slog for me to get Job Seekers Allowance for three weeks this summer and I speak fluent English and have a British passport.)

If people really want to believe that 'foreigners' are coming over here to steal jobs and benefits then let them believe it, I don't care. I'm not going to go on a rant...

I would like to point out however, that there are over 5.5 million Brits living abroad, 'stealing jobs' in Spain, New Zealand, Australia, Canada, Thailand, France, Dubai... The horrible truth of it is that the bigoted Brits panicking about 'benefit tourism' draw distinctions between British emigrants and foreign immigrants because they think British people are better than anyone else. They should just admit it- instead of saying 'I'm worried Polish people will come over to do the low-paid jobs that I don't want to do', they should just say:

'I'm a racist and I just want England to be full of English people, for no reason actually, haven't really given it much thought, I'm just painfully thick and shockingly racist.'

I'm so fed up, I hate England. I've got nothing to blog about. England is just a big sinking, dark hole full of shit. I hate it. I hate everything about it.  Why is the tube so expensive? Why is the minimum wage so low? Why are shallots spherical?

The only thing I'm enjoying at the moment is reading my book- 'The Life of Charlotte Brontë' by Elizabeth Gaskell- but I've just go to the point where everyone, literally everyone, is dying. I suppose I should be grateful, at least I don't have to walk for miles across cold moors every day, to sit in a cold chapel and hear a very long sermon, then walk home again for a couple of cold potatoes and an early night.

Charlotte Brontë keeps telling people in her letters that she would be very distressed and heart-broken by the whole thing, if it wasn't for the existence of God...

Oh, Charlotte.

Did you know that the Brontë sisters had a servant called Tabitha? And she told them how there used to be fairies in the valley, but they disappeared when the factories were built.

I've got my cloak with me in London now. It was actually here all the time, in a bag in Lauren's office. I might take it home at Christmas and wander the moors in it, thinking about croissants and crying. Look what I just found on YouTube:

8 comments:

  1. Oh dear you've got it bad at the moment. But who could blame you? It's winter in a land run by Tory idiots. I so hope your social media work takes off for you - you could live anywhere and do that! One thing I do know - when things are bad and you think, "that's it", they get better again and you didn't even see it coming. GM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you, I feel bad because I just whinge and moan on here! I guess I haven't been in London for long it takes a while to settle down anywhere. LBM.

      Delete
  2. GM up there has been stealing New Zealand jobs since the 70s, and now she's stealing a pension! Don't trust her ;)

    On the bright side, you have delicious cider and Minstrels over there, so chin up x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, I haven't really been taking advantage of the cider and Minstrels!

      Delete
  3. This made me laugh so much (in a sort of sad way) I don't think I can possibly agree more with all of this. Except maybe the book, because I haven't read it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you agree! I love your 'Beauty is Perfection' blog by the way, thanks for commenting.
      Left Bank Manc.

      Delete
  4. Come back here !! No don't, actually, be very successful in anything you are trying and then come back rich and famous :) I miss you, but don't worry it will be better, they say november is the worst month of the year and I can relay to that but it finishes tomorrow ! Bisous Julia

    Sorry for the bad english it is getting worse everyday without you and Kayt training me !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your English is good, I have forgotten all my French already. But we do get French people in the pub sometimes, it's great when they can't speak English then I can practice with them! I will come to Paris as soon as I get a real job and some money, come to England as soon as you can x

      Delete