Thursday, 30 May 2013

Drama School Auditions

You might be interested/disgusted to know that I'm typing this with my right foot stuck in a pan of hot, salty water. There's something wrong with my big toe, I don't want to talk about it. Kayt told me to go to the doctors but I WILL NOT.

It's been a ridiculously long time now since my last drama school audition, but y'all know I like to be consistent... so here we go.

After I got dropped off at the gates by the lovely red-haired couple that restored my faith in humanity and showed me the Meaning of Life (all in a day's work), I wandered off again because I still had two hours before my audition. I was worried the couple would spot me and think I'd been lying about my audition, a lost fantasist, roaming the streets of London pretending to have a drama audition, killing time until her Weekend Pass expires and it's time to go back to the mental hospital...

I read my book on a bench (why does it feel so weird doing that in London, when it's perfectly acceptable in Paris?) and then my cousin Sophie came to meet me for a bit. She said she'd been reading up about the drama school I was auditioning for and thought it was the one I was most suited for- they encourage applicants to be themselves in the audition, not a character. I definitely like that idea but I struggle with it- I don't want to be myself, I want to be a character, to be somebody else. It is something I really want to work on though.

The auditions were held in the student union. After being buzzed in, I made my way downstairs to see a group of nervous people waiting silently in an empty bar. They were all sat together on a big banquette but nobody was talking. As nobody else was talking I thought I better keep quiet, but it was so awkward that I kept smirking and wanting to laugh.

Not long after I sat down, we were called into a room by three ex-students. They explained what was going to happen- we would have a workshop to warm up, then we would wait in the room until we were called in for our audition. After everybody had auditioned we would be told who had been successful.

If we were successful, we would be asked to go for a second audition the following day, which was a Sunday. I'd known this beforehand but still decided to book my Eurostar back to Paris on the Sunday. It's not that I didn't think I had a chance of getting in but... yeah, I didn't think I had a chance of getting in.

I was one of only three English people auditioning and after the ex-students explained that the second auditions would be held the next day, I understood that the school had organised it so that anyone coming from abroad only had to stay in London for one week (the third, final round of auditions would be held the following Friday), rather than travel back and forth each time. In't that nice?

I'd forgotten there was going to be a workshop. We did a lot of exercises we used to do at uni: walking round the room, making eye contact, filling the space; then we had to stop in front of someone and look, 'really look' at their face and tell the other person something we liked about their face. (I told one guy I liked his eyebrows.) We had to mime carrying a cup of tea to the audition panel, spilling it, mopping it up etc. They asked us to line up against the wall, then walk forwards and tell everyone our name, where we were from, what made us laugh, what made us cry and finish the sentence 'Acting is...'

After the workshop we went back into our waiting room. I was last on the list, so I had a long wait until my audition. Everyone was a bit chattier after the warm up and I asked the two English guys if they lived abroad as well- one said no, but that he'd had 'a problem' in his first audition and so they'd told him he could audition again, and the other guy told me he was a popstar in Vienna... That's really not what I expected him to say.
The other European people were from Sweden, Portugal, Italy, the Netherlands... and there was one French boy. I spoke to him in French for a bit, but only a tiny bit so he wouldn't figure out that I actually don't speak French. I felt very international. That night the Eurovision Song Contest was on and we joked that we were like a mini Eurovision...

HEY!

It's hard making jokes in a group that speaks six different languages.

Eventually... I was called in to audition.

Unlike other drama schools, the audition panel told me before I started to perform my pieces to them, rather then look over their heads at an imaginary audience. One of the ex-students sat in the room so I would have somebody to make eye contact with, in case the audition panel had to look down and make notes.

I did my contemporary speech and my Shakespeare speech first, I thought both went quite well but then I'd already performed them in my RADA and LAMDA auditions, then they asked me for my third piece, which I hadn't practiced at all. They asked me to sit in front of them and do the piece as naturally as I could, as myself, not in character. After my first line they stopped me. I guess I was adopting a character, a slightly posher version of myself, without realising it.

"As yourself," they reiterated.

I did again, as myself, or as much as myself as I could. (I don't really know what my real accent is, it depends on who I'm speaking to but I don't change it on purpose.) Luckily the monologue was somebody describing a night out to her friends and the character was my age, so it was easy to be chatty and naturalistic.

When I'd finished they asked me for 'my song'. I'd had no idea there would be a song until after the workshop and the ex-students has asked us to write down what song we would be doing. The audition panel stressed that it wasn't about my singing (which is good, because I can't sing) but that they wanted me to tell a story.

I secretly enjoyed doing the song, because I LOVE singing but I can't sing in my shower because all the neighbours can hear me. I do sing under the roar of my hairdryer however and I always sing 'Silver Dagger', so that's what I chose to do. (When I'd finished they said they really liked the song and asked me what it was, I was surprised they'd never heard of it.)

At the end of my audition they asked me what I was doing with myself, why I wanted to go to drama school etc. Then it was back into the waiting room.

We didn't have long to wait. They came into the waiting room about ten minutes after I'd finished my audition, with a list of who was coming back for a second audition. Before they told us who was on the list, they told us not to be disheartened, they told us how there were two thousand people auditioning for just twenty five places, so it didn't mean we weren't talented... There were just three names on the list.

And mine wasn't one of them.

I can't even remember who got through now, because I was sat near the door so when they'd finished I just said thank you and then we were all standing up to leave. I walked out of the building with the French boy and this Italian girl I'd been chatting to. We all had comedy sad faces, pure disappointment pulling our mouths down, eye to the ground.

That's it then, no drama school for me.

I always knew it was a long shot, I always knew it was a lot to do with luck.

But I felt lucky!

After my audition I went straight to Sophie's and had a long chat with my mum on the phone. She was out of hospital by that point and everything was fine (the moral of the story is- if you feel really sick, for no reason, for two weeks, you should go to the doctor's).

It's hard to talk to my mum about what I want to do with my life because whenever I say 'nothing, really' she gets annoyed, but she was really nice on the phone. She suggested I move back to England and do acting classes for a year, then apply for drama school next year. A lot of people apply three times before getting into drama school, I guess I would have been extremely lucky getting in on my first attempt.

But It's hard to think about the fact that I didn't even get a second audition, anywhere. Not getting in is one thing, but not getting past the first round?

Nobody's ever told me I'm good at acting.

As it was my last audition for my last school, of course I felt a bit shit because it meant the drama school dream was over, but after talking it through with my mum and my cousin, I felt ok about the whole thing, I guess. Although saying that, as soon as I got to my cousin's house we went to the pub and I've been drinking nearly every day since. It's been almost two weeks of drowning my sorrows and I feel like absolute shit.


17 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about your toe and that you didn't make it past the first round. I know it's hard to hear right now, but perhaps this wasn't your door. Keep going, and you'll find the right door that is open to you. Good luck on your future endeavors, and get well soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I know you're right, I just hoped my door would open into drama school... Ha ha I'm sure the toe will be fine, I bloody hope so anyway, it's because I've been wearing cheap ballet pumps!

      Delete
  2. Hey at least until you know you've been living in Paris, most people go back to living with their parents for years getting high and watching Jeremy Kyle. And there's nowhere better to drink alone than here. You could be drinking alone in a box in Slough. You'll be fine babes! Katie stalker x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like to clarify that I haven't been drinking on my own!! I do like to think of myself as a tragic heroine, but I'm not that bad, not yet... You're right about the Slough thing and the Jeremy Kyle, I'm scared of going back to the UK without a job because I know how easily I get sucked into crap telly, might spend all my time on other people's sofas, watching ITV Daytime... Thanks for commenting x

      Delete
  3. You will be fine you gorgeous little treasure. No one knows what the fuck they're doing. Even if they lie and say they do. Come and live with me, I miss you. I think you're very very good at acting. There. Someones told you. You have boundless talent but the lovely lovely thing about you is that you have no idea. Just thought I'd let you know that.
    Big love
    Amy
    X
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy I worry that your children will grow up to be really big-headed and naive, because you will say things like this to them every day. Yey can I stay with you? For realzies?? xx

      Delete
    2. No, i am just very wise and honest. Speaking of which - get the doctors with that foot before it falls off and you're good nothing but 'character acting'. Course you can stay with me, I would love to have you x x

      Delete
  4. I'm sorry to hear you didn't get accepted, but I really do think that it's incredibly hard to get into drama school on the first try. I think if you can swing it, taking a year of drama lessons then reapplying is a great idea! You seem like a strong girl, though, so I know you'll be ok :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, think I will try and find some am dram to do if I can fit it in with working, not sure what's going to happen yet!

      Delete
  5. Wow very details and well described post about Drama School Auditions. Any one who is willing to be a professional actor should read your post first then can decide to join any acting school.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Check out my new drama school audition blog for 2015
    http://dramaschoolaudition2015.blogspot.co.uk/?m=1

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very Nice Blog.
    You can also make your career in acting with Treehouse Acting School. It is for all types of persons whether you are professional or a beginner.
    http://www.treehouseacting.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry to hear you didn't get into drama school, i was going to go down that route, but i got so scared and felt i wouldn't ever amount to anything i kind of gave up.
    I was wondering if you could give me some advice, im an au pair in London, im english but im struggling to make friends. Everytime i make a friend they end up moving back to their country! Any adive?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! Have you looked for a London Au Pair group on Facebook? You could get talking to people first and find out if there's anyone who wants to stay long-term! I made a lot of my Paris friends on the Au Pair Paris Facebook group, and found people who like me were older than the average au pair and wanted to stay longer than one year. It was hard to meet Paris-locals, but I eventually did through friends. Everyone knows someone in London, if anyone you know from home knows someone else who has moved to London, ask them to put you in touch. By the way you should try and audition for drama school, don't be scared! At least you can say you tried x

      Delete
  9. This is such a great resource that you providing and you give it away for free. I love seeing websites that understand the value of providing a quality resource for free. It is the old what goes around comes around routine. Methodacting.co.uk London acting college

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like this post,And I guess that they having fun to read this post,they shall take a good site to make a information,thanks for sharing it to me.
    Method Acting

    ReplyDelete

  11. Thanks for sharing your valuable information.I found it very useful.Keep posting amazing content like this.


    Acting Course by Method Acting

    ReplyDelete