Tuesday, 23 April 2013

Restless

It's one of those restless nights, warm air and city sounds floating through my open window. Out there, evening is fading in on the city and I'm just pacing round my room, listening to spacey remixes of old RnB songs.

This is exactly what I used to do when I was thirteen, listening to music (back then I used to have 'Say My Name' by Destiny's Child on repeat and now it's the Cyril Hahn remix), gazing out of the window, wondering when my life was going to start...

HA!

What did I think was going to happen?

I really felt like blogging tonight. Earlier I was looking out of the window at the sun setting over Paris (the tiny bit I can see from my skylight, anyway) and I had the sensation that I was somewhere else remembering the moment... then I suddenly pictured myself in my old bedroom in Fallowfield, looking out of the window late at night, in summer, listening to music and feeling exactly the same.

I know this post seems a bit melancholy and pointless, but I actually have some disturbing news to share- my mum is getting a puppy. Anyone who knows me will understand my horror at this news. (Remember when I was indecently assaulted by a mute Labrador?) I should have seen it coming... When I was home over the summer, my mum kept cooing over dogs we'd see in the street and gushing about this thing called 'Doggy Daycare' that her friends send their dogs to. I didn't think she'd ever actually get one- my stepdad and my mum are at work all day and they have a cat...

Last night she sent me a photo of a vicious-looking dog saying: 'Look at the puppy we're getting! She'll get a lot bigger!'

Straight away I asked her if she knew what breed it was, because it looked like one of those illegal breeds to me...

'Are you kidding?' she messaged me back.

I then told her that she'll have to train it not to bite me and she said, 'Don't worry, I'll train it and she'll love you!'

I don't want the dog to love me, I want it to not tear half my face off. (Last week I read yet ANOTHER story of how an evil dog in Britain ripped into a toddler, scarring the child for life.)

Just to give you some idea of what I'm talking about, this is the type of puppy my mum is getting:



They look savage and you can already see how powerful their front legs and jaws will be when they're fully-grown. Apparently the breed is called Rhodesian Ridgeback (sounds suspiciously like a dragon's name to me).

I was thinking about maybe living at my mum's over the summer while I sort out my next move after Paris (argh) but there's no way I'm staying there now: yes I might gain money because I won't be paying expensive London rent; but I might lose a limb.

I was also thinking it would be nice to live in Manchester for a bit because Amy has just moved there with her boyfriend and Kayt will be moving there to live with her boyfriend when she leaves Paris this summer... but I was forgetting that Any Northern Mill Town is bloody miles away from the city centre.

Is it definitely London next? Why do I keep thinking about Marseille, or somewhere in Spain?

Istanbul?

If I go back to England there's no way I can live with my mum. Before you know it I'll be gazing out of the window- except I'll be looking at cows instead of Parisian rooftops- listening to nostalgic tunes and wondering when my life is going to start...


24 comments:

  1. If my mom told me she was getting (another) dog, I'd be green with envy! I understand that you are a bit afraid of dogs, but I'm the complete opposite. Ridgebacks are a lovely breed, but high energy and strong-willed, so I hope your mom is going to invest in some puppy classes!

    Can't wait to find out where you'll be spending your summer! It's nice to have options ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok, I'll admit it, SOMETIMES I think that SOME types of puppies are a LITTLE bit cute... just not these huge ridgeback things. I think she was planning on training it herself, definitely won't be going there now!

      Delete
  2. I haven't got a dog, so there's your decision: Spain it is!

    ReplyDelete
  3. MANCHESTER!!

    Beth xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah I didn't mention you but of course you are a star attraction of Manchester! You and the 192 bus...

      Delete
  4. Manchester. 4000%. You can come and live with me! You can stay in the spare room. X x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it's me by the way.
      Amy
      X

      Delete
    2. Thanks Amy! I don't think Chris would really want me in the spare bedroom though. Also, if I'm in the spare room, where are you going to keep all the presents he keeps buying you? (Kayt told me about the Chanel bag on the table... she also told me about the wet room HA) xx

      Delete
  5. What about spending summer in Marseille?

    http://www.yeswecamp.org/

    I'm volunteering with them for a bit over the summer, you get food and board so you'd save on rent in that sense. Plus in Marseille people don't really speak English so would be a brilliant final push for your french!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly what I was thinking about Marseille- the language thing! Also the video to 'C'est My Life' makes me want to move there and smoke shisha with French gangsters... Thanks for the tip!

      Delete
    2. I really think you should do it! The people running this project are sooo bloody nice, they all "tu" each other (but not in a cringey "cool" way)and are currently in the process of building the camp from scratch.

      Have you been to Marseille before? I've been reading your blog for a while and so when I visited it I literally thought "This really does seem like LBM's kind of city". It reminds me of Liverpool cos it's run down but just has such a cool atmosphere and the nice bits are stunning!

      Delete
    3. Also this is totally random but if anyone knows it's you! Do you know where you can get decently priced sunglasses in paris? :)

      Delete
    4. Now, hey, Anonymous. How is Liverpool run down?

      C'est ma life, la vida loca
      Oui ma life, des soirées, des chichas
      Oh ma life, celle de Massilia
      Oui ma life, tant pis si tu kiffes pas LBM.

      Liv x

      Delete
    5. Olivia we all love Liverpool but it is home to a high proportion of the UK's most impoverished areas- no denying some bits are run down (you know where my dad and nana live!)... don't be scaring off my commenters. Everybody kiffes the pool... and les chichas.

      Delete
    6. Anon- I really do think it seems like my kind of city and I've been looking on the website and the project looks amazing! I've applied but so far no word back... I'm thinking about the sunglasses, will get back to you!

      Delete
    7. Olivia when you come and visit me in Marseille we can recreate the video scene by scene...

      Delete
    8. Oh darling, I don't go to THOSE areas.

      Can we really? Bagsy the little one.

      Why are you planning another life and not letting me plan?

      x

      Delete
    9. Drama school... it ain't so cool?

      What will become of this?

      Oh time, thou must untangle this, not I
      It is too hard a knot for me to untie...

      (Just practicing)

      Delete
    10. Honestly the only bit of the UK I know is Newcastle (I'm a crap Brit) and Liverpool was like a bigger and more run down Newcastle when I visited for a uni interview. No idea if it's run down compared to the rest of the country... no offence meant to scousers, you're northeners so a love yiz, pets!

      And LBM, that's sweet on the sunglasses but looks like they'd be usless now anyway lol :(

      Delete
    11. Feels like this hole I've dug keeps a-getting-bigger. I do like Liverpool, promise!

      Delete
    12. Haha don't worry. Olivia is from a very swish part of Liverpool. Can't believe how shit this weather is, I thought it was gonna be summer summer summer time for a few weeks!!!

      Delete
  6. I used to day dream like that too..I also used to wonder "what will I look like when I grow up?"...tuns out just 6 inches taller.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the same! Don't think I've changed since I was seven years old except now I wear a bra...

      Delete