Sunday, 21 October 2012

Coldsores

It might interest (or disgust) you to know that I awoke yesterday morning to find that the end of my nose had transformed into a bubbling, blistering coldsore. If that description makes you feel sick, imagine how I must feel, walking around with it actually on MY FACE.

Life is split into two types of people- Coldsore Sufferers and Non-Coldsore Sufferers. The latter will never understand the misery of waking up to find your lips (or in my case, the end of my nose: all my life I have to put up with people telling me that 'you can't get coldsores on the your nose'- you fucking can and I've got one, alright?) covered with weeping scabs for No Reason... Non-Coldsore Sufferers will stare at your blister with a look of horror on their face, and ask: "What did you do?" as if you woke up with a coldsore on purpose.

People who do have the coldsore virus know that coldsores rear their ugly head when your body is run down, when you haven't been sleeping enough or getting enough vitamins. (Sometimes for me, even a bash to the mouth can trigger an attack, as if the virus has been rudely awoken.) You can stop them from appearing if you slap on some aciclovir cream as soon as you feel the tell-tale tingle, a unique sensation that Coldsore Sufferers grow to recognise as an early warning.

Sometimes, however, the bastard virus breaks out sneakily, while you are asleep. On Friday night I went to bed with a smooth, normal nose and when I looked in the mirror the next morning, I saw that blisters had formed. From now on things can only get worse as I wait for them to burst and scab over and heal.

If I'm making you feel nauseous- good. People always roll their eyes and tut when I complain about coldsores, but when I have a break-out, I literally can't think of anything else until it has gone. Kids point and stare (I'm dreading work this week) and you sit on the bus/metro with your head hung low, hoping nobody can see it.

When I was younger I would get them every few weeks and the doctor told me there was nothing to be done. Now I get them about twice a year (TOUCH WOOD) but they always crop up when I have a Big Event coming up. I bet if I ever get married I'll wake up on my wedding day with a coldsore. I think I would have to cancel the whole thing.

The reason I got a coldsore this weekend is obviously because next Saturday is my cousin's wedding and the virus couldn't stand to think of me actually having a nice time. If my nose hasn't cleared up by then I won't be able to get in any of the photos. I'll be miserable all day, conscious of everybody staring, of having conversations with people and  their eye inadvertently jumping to my scabby clown's nose.

Also, I have nothing to wear.

On that note, good night. I hope your nose is having a better time than mine is.

9 comments:

  1. Oh, poor thing! Fingers crossed for the wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a non-cold sore sufferrer with the paranoia of joining the latter group, as I'm pretty sure the numbers are uneven and my odds of staying a non-cold sore sufferrer for mulife are against me. Occasionaly I tcp my mouth after kissing a stranger :o or sharing a cigerette...

    Witnessing my Mum get terrible outbreaks, I definitely sypmthaise with you! You should try to take L-lysine whenever you have a busy/run down period or event coming up a few weeks before and avoid foods with L-argenine (I think it's nuts and chocolate) and put Manuka Honey (high factor, it's expensive but only used a few times a year) on it the second you feel the tingiling of scabs! These are some tips I picked up working a health food shop, and heard some people testify to them!

    Fiona :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow I've never heard of any of this stuff before, when I go back to England I'll go to a health shop and ask them about it! 'm always looking for more solutions when it comes to coldsores and I've never come across the stuff you mentioned, really useful, thanks. I hope you don't cross over into the group of Coldsore Sufferers either but it's only contagious in the first, early stages so don't worry too much! Even when it's really scabby it isn't contagious at the stage but obviously you wouldn't kiss someone with scabby lips anyway... euww.

      Delete
  3. Ooh, my sympathy goes out to you. I have got them all my life when I have been run-down or burning the candle at both ends (too old to do that now, so they are a pretty rare occurance these days, touch wood). I had one when my future husband took me home to his parents for the first time and I was mortified. One of my proudest achievements is that I didn't pass the virus on to my kids, by being paranoid about towels, kissing, etc when I had one. Mine were only on the lips, so double sympathy to you. A terrible part of it is that once you've got one you know you can't do a thing about it and have to go through all the stages in all their horribleness. The good thing is the whole thing takes about a week, so you should be OK for the wedding. I haven't heard of those health shop things either. I hope they work for you. GM x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always wondered what would happen if I had kids- I wouldn't want them to get coldsores! I'm currently going through the 'horribleness' of which you speak, nothing I can do now but cross my fingers. I'm trying to be positive and tell myself that walking around Paris with a scabby nose is 'character building'. x

      Delete
  4. I'm wondering if a big, droopy cloak hood would sufficiently hide your face while out in public? At least your profile, anyway...

    I'm kidding. No one likes a coldsore. I don't have the virus, but I know many people who do, and it seems pretty awful. Does foundation/cover up help at all?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah my cloak would be perfect for hiding coldsores, I just don't think the world is ready for me and the cloak yet. I've put concealer and foundation on it today, which made it look less shocking, but it still looks weird. I just hope it clears up in time for the wedding!

      Delete
  5. Hope you`ll make it to the wedding!!!

    Here`s an award for you:

    http://billingualfashion.blogspot.de/2012/10/2nd-blogaward.html

    ReplyDelete