Thursday, 22 March 2012

Cloak Girl

As promised, here are the drawings of me in my cloak, although for some reason, much to my own annoyance, I've labelled them here as 'cape' instead of 'cloak'. As regular readers will know, it's been my Lifelong Dream to own a CLOAK, not a cape. You can buy 'capes' in Topshop and while they're perfectly nice and functional, what I'm talking about is a full-on, sweeping Scottish Widow* style CLOAK, the type of garment you could wear all afternoon whilst wandering the moors looking for Heathcliff and then come evening, you only have to swap the bodice and petticoats underneath for a bodycon dress and you're good to party.

Oh but that's not all they're good for- cloaks are so versatile! A lot of my friends have questioned how wearable a black, hooded cloak is in this day and age, but the possibilities are literally endless which is partly why I did the doodles in the first place. For anyone questioning the practicality of cloaks- I think my diagrams illustrate the futility of your boring questions.

(By the way, I know these drawings are a bit crap [especially the hands, how difficult is it to draw hands?] but I did them in a hurry, with the intention of never showing them to anybody. If I actually spent time and effort drawing something, it might turn out Really Good. You don't know. So shut up.)

The first and foremost function of my cloak will be, of course, to fight crime, possibly accessorised with some sort of longer length foot wear as I've illustrated here:



As well as being a protector, hero and all-round Good Guy, my cloak could easily be used to inspire fear and uncomfortableness, if I felt like it:


 But I will not just wear my cloak for Fantastical and/or Magical Reasons (fighting crime, lurking in the shadows, riding dragons etc); there are many, many, many everyday social situations that call for the casual majesty of a cloak. I can't be bothered to list all of them right now, but one such example of when I could wear my cloak in Paris is going to the opera: (In my drawing, I've depicted somebody walking to the opera along the river, on cobbles, but I'm sure the cloak would look equally good if you were traveling to the opera by bus or bicycle.)


Finally, how about trading in the cliched 'showing up at his door wearing nothing but a raincoat' idea for 'showing up at his door wearing your underwear, and  a full-length, hooded black cloak'? Personally, I think it's a winner:




So. There you have it. Nobody can ever say cloaks aren't wearable again. The really exciting news is that when I went back to England, Amy told me she had bought  a sewing pattern for my cloak and she is going to make it and send it to me as soon as she can!!!!

My Cloak Dream is nearly upon us!

It's going to change my life!!

ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHBHASBCUOFBE728EUPOEFFVN NJbhAVDO37E88!!!!

VERY excited.

When everyone starts wearing them, remember who got one first.

Left Bank Manc, aka Cloak Girl.

When my cloak finally gets here I might take some photos of myself swishing about the streets of Paris in it. (With clothes underneath, I promise.)

*For any non-English readers, Scottish Widow is an insurance company and their ads used to feature a lady striding around the heather in a full-length, hooded cloak.

21 comments:

  1. I want a cloak! But a red one, so that I can live out my fairytale dreams. You're onto a winner there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah! A red cloak would be amazing. Maybe once I've got my black one I'll start collecting them in all the colours of the rainbow... They'll call me the Queen of Cloaks and chase after me in the street for a photo... Thanks for commenting Fairytale Alice!

      Delete
  2. Your drawings made my day. Can't wait to see pics of you in your cloak. Unfortunately I don't think I could ever wear a cloak - my non-existent curves get lost in the ill-fitting clothes I already do own, so somehow throwing on another layer of loose, heavy fabric doesn't seem like a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! You make your wardrobe sound divine Crystal... Seriously, throwing a cloak on something will never make it look bad! Thanks for commenting, I really think you should reconsider your stance on cloaks!

      Delete
  3. I think this cloak sounds AH-mazing! I found your blog whilst looking for eyebrow threading in Paris (eyebrow hygiene is very important to me; thanks for the tip!) but after some compulsive reading, I think you should attend this...!
    http://www.die-nacht.fr/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow that looks amazing! I've got to go away for the weekend with my au pair family though on that day, so I can't go! I wonder if it's on any other days? Thanks for commenting, look after those eyebrows, and thanks for the Die Nacht tip!

      Delete
  4. Your drawings are great ! I hope to see you in the 4 situations as soon as you get your tailored cloak !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha thanks Julia, don't be surprised when I turn up at your door in my cloak and underwear then!

      Delete
    2. I will wait for you in my poncho and rain boots !

      Delete
  5. Knowing you, that whoerish LBM is wearing MY underwear.
    Kayt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was one pair of knickers Kayt! Geee....

      Delete
  6. Share and share alike Kayt, using my emergency toothbrush are you ey?

    ReplyDelete
  7. what the hell kind of name is Scottish Widow???

    ReplyDelete
  8. Once you start wearing your cloak around Paris everyone will know it's you, the famous Left Bank Manc. And when it's all over the runways you can use your blog as proof that it was you who started it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! You talk a lot of sense. Maybe my secret identity will be revealed! I'll be a famous blogger/cloak wearer/galavant-er and all my dreams will come true! Or... not. Let's wait and see...

      Delete
    2. I'm sure that's exactly what is going to happen! Or perhaps you will be the proud owner of a cloak that come with a built in barb-wire surrounded pocket to protect your phone

      Delete
  9. Yay, love it! Thanks for sharing & thanks for the comment on my blog, hope you're right about karma :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have a red cloak, although I called it a cape as I made it for my little Red Riding Hood costume a year (or two) ago. It's actually pretty awesome and I get it out and swish (and swirl, I'm not going to lie) about in my apartment in it, but I have yet to wear it outside (not counting Holloween,obviously.)
    Glad to see your wildest cloak dreams coming true!!
    ***I had a terrible misspell but I couldn't edit. So I deleted and started over hence the deletion above ^)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah a red cape would be so cool, I almost asked my friend to make it for me in red, but black is just more practical as my cloak will be more of an everyday cloak. I can not WAIT to get it!!!! Thanks for reading and thanks for my comment!

      Delete