Tuesday, 18 October 2011

The Short Day Dying

I've just this minute finished reading The Short Day Dying by Peter Hobbs. I borrowed it off my Aunty about two years ago but I misplaced it shortly after beginning the book and so it was lost to me all this time until I returned to England this summer and found it in a cardboard box hidden in the loft.

The sentence style is unique the author uses no commas and the language flows quickly beautiful words and images swell over the edges of each paragraph. It is written in an old fashioned style and dialect appropriate to the time in which the book is set.

It is difficult to digest at first but after a few pages the words come fluidly and it is a beautiful book but sad too. The themes of the book are cheifly the passing of time and how short our time is on this world also the protaganist is searching for meaning in his life he cannot find any.

"The hours desert us while we still have hold on them and though we open our hands to see what it is we grip we find our hands empty."

You see I am actually a very deep and spiritual person. Just going to check the Daily Mail's website 'Showbiz and Gossip Headlines'* and then I will get ready for work although it begs the question how much more of my fleeting time on this earth do I really want to spend in this horrible job?

*I hate the Daily Mail and I would never read it in real life. But. I do like to look at pictures of people I don't know in bikinis and secretly compare myself to them, or else discover which member of TOWIE is thinking of getting bum implants. (No really, that was one of the main 'headlines' this morning.)

2 comments:

  1. Don't watch TV and certainly don't read the "Daily Fail" but do have to admit to illegally downloading each and every episode of The Only Way is Essex to discover "which member of TOWIE is thinking of getting bum implants!"

    All the best

    Keith

    P.S. You weren't joking about being all grown up, were you? This is actually quite a sensible post! Once again - feeling slightly let down?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I promise to do something stupid very soon!

    ReplyDelete