Wednesday, 12 October 2011

The Immediate Future

I start my restaurant/bar job tomorrow. I know I should have spent the last three days learning restaurant-related French vocab, but somehow... I just... haven't.

I'm not prepared at all.

I'm supposed to wear black shoes with black trousers or a black skirt. Is a black leather skirt appropriate? I don't have anything else black. This evening I withdrew the last of my money in my English bank account so that I could buy some black ballet pumps from this weird catalogue-style shop on my street. I should have kept the money in my account for when the minumum payment on my credit card comes out, but you have to spend money to make money right?

I'm really not sure about the skirt. I panic-bought some black trousers from H&M as well, but they are about three inches too long for me and the only solution I have had so far is to fix them in place with hair grips... it looks great.

I think I'll go for the skirt.

Oh my god, I can't speak French. It's going to be a disaster. Oh shit.

What is wrong with me? Instead of reading all the 'company information' the pub gave me and trying to learn French vocab, I've spent the evening trying to track down my mobile phone which I haven't been able to find since last night. I told Kayt to ring it because I was sure it was hidden in my messy pit of a bedroom somewhere, but Georgie answered it. She heard it ringing from inside her recycling bin. What a curious turn of events.

Anyway. Right. I'm rambling now, I need to calm down. Calm, calm.

I have just cried my heart out watching Children Of Men. I've seen it a few times but this time, for some reason, the nightmarish Near Future portrayed in the film seemed, well, Near. It is so believable and if you haven't seen it you should watch it, or read the book instead.

But never mind the Near Future, I'm terrified of the Immediate Future- tomorrow. Wish me luck. No don't, you'll jinx me.


No comments:

Post a Comment