Tuesday, 31 May 2011

Sobbin' Women














Just watched Seven Brides for Seven Brothers- Amy lent it me and it is Fucking Brilliant. I love a good musical and after watching Seven Brides, I now know how I will find the man of my dreams- I just need six single girlfriends, then seven bearded woodsmen will come, put bags over our heads and carry us, kicking and screaming, into the mountains, then we'll get snowed in for nine months and we'll all end up married. Actually, when I put it like that, it sounds more like gang rape. I guess that is what Seven Brides essentially is all about; except instead of ravishing the girls, the red-headed lumberjacks sing to them about the joys of Springtime. I know what I'd prefer.

(By the way, I use semi-colons a lot; I get a warm feeling inside when I slip one in. But I'm not sure if I always use them in the right place; if anyone knows that I'm using them in the wrong way... keep it to yourself.)

In other news, I had a job interview tonight. They have a cat. It is fate.

I hope I get it, if I don't get this job I think I will take it as a Sign to go back to England. Oh I do miss England: it is the home of roast dinners and binge drinking; it is the home of the National Trust and fish and chips by the sea, in the rain; it is the home of apple and blackberry crumble with custard... Unfortunately, it is also the home of Nick Griffin and my Overdraft, so I may as well stay away for a little while longer, pretending that I'm not in A Lot of Debt and also pretending to learn French.

Haha! I have just been Googling 'Seven Brides for Seven Brothers kidnap scene' to find photographic evidence of the unbelievably dodgy storyline of the film. I can't find anything, but I have found the lyrics to one of the songs- 'Sobbin Women'- that I think illustrates my point:

Them a woman was sobbin', sobbin', sobbin'
Fit to be tied.
Ev'ry muscle was throbbin', throbbin'
From that riotous ride.
Oh they cried and kissed and kissed and cried
All over that Roman countryside
So don't forget that when you're takin' a bride.
Sobbin' fit to be tied


Oh yes!
Them a women was sobbin', sobbin',
Sobbin' buckets of tears...
Oh they acted angry and annoyed
But secretly they was overjoyed...




I'm just going to check that my door is locked.

No comments:

Post a Comment